China Travels 2015 : Shenzhen


Late last night we traveled by train to the mainland. You can tell a difference coming into China versus being in Hong Kong. We got a taxi van, which turned out to be a very good thing. With so many people and all of our luggage we need either two taxis or a van. Thankfully we got the van because the drive to the hotel took probably over an hour. The taxi driver didn't really know where it was. It was a fun ride though. He was very nice and funny. He would stop at several stop lights and pull over to the side of the road many times to ask for directions. We enjoyed talking with him, as well. He was happy when we practiced Chinese and gave us a thumbs up a lot. My grandmother knows enough Mandarin to communicate fairly well so he would test her and ask her how to say things. The way he said it though was funny. He would ask something like "How are you in China?" I thought he was asking exactly how the question sounded, but really he was asking how to ask "How are you?" in Chinese. My uncle thought he was just saying the name of his country at the end of every sentence, so the confusion was funny to us before we finally figured out what he was asking.

We got to the hotel very late and didn't go to bed until after 3 AM. Sleep isn't something that's been very plentiful this trip. We're exhausted by the time we get back to our hotels at night, but once we start settling in it seems like my body is trying to get me back on USA time. The jet-lag really doesn't seem to be bad, though. 

This morning we woke up and checked out of our hotel around 12. We had to buy something and get lunch so we walked down the streets to see what we could find. Eventually we stopped at a McDonald's because we were also trying to meet with one of my Grandma's friends. She got lost so while Grandma and Lauren stayed at McDonald's waiting, Matthew, Grey, and I walked down the street a little ways, looking through some shops.

A few minutes after we got back to McDonald's my grandma's friend found us. We split up soon after so my grandmother and her friend could buy something for our phones here. Matthew, Grey, Lauren, and I went walking down the streets again and found an alley marketplace. It was the first place like it we have seen here so we had a lot of fun getting to see everything in it. 

Late this afternoon we took a ferry to our next stop that we are at now that I will hopefully get to blog about soon!